Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sycophancy

Toadying, kowtowing, flattery, becoming...call it by whatever name - this is one of the disgusting practices in the corporate culture.For people who try to work hard, work right, work ethically, the entire concept of kowtowing is alien - its something which cannot be understood...how can an individual stoop so low that he/she compromises on their dignity??To what level would a person go to satisfy the boss?The practice is so rampant at every level that it becomes unbearable beyond a point.
I find it difficult to work in circumstances such as these. The earlier years in Sales at the regional level was simple, easier to handle. Your performance was measured completely on the targets set and the numbers achieved.At the corporate level factors like does your boss like you, do you do things to please him/her....what the heck!!!! Performance completely takes a back seat.It doesn't even matter the amount of work you do, even when the results are evident for all to see. All that matters is do you suck up to your boss? If no, then too bad...you lose out in the rat race....you don't even qualify to participate forget about taking the laurels.
I wonder at times, if i have to learn the art? or science?? of Sychophancy and then better sense prevails....atleast I know am doing the right thing each time I look at myself, talk to myself and weigh things in perspective.I know I can stand up and fight against all odds - even if it means losing your job.

No comments: